More On Article
- HEAS Member interviewed for Austria Innovativ Magazine
- HEAS Member Immo Trinks featured in Wired Magazine
- HEAS Member Gerhard Weber interviewed for Spektrum on Homo Naledi Cave
- Impact of prolonged heating on the color and crystallinity of bone.
- Impact of a recent wildfire on tortoises at Cape Point, South Africa, and implications for the interpretation of heated bones in the archaeological record
Butovskaya, M., Adam, Y., Batsevich, V., Shackelford, T.K., Fink, B., 2023. Direct and radiographic digit ratio (2D:4D) measurements of Tuvan children and adolescents from Southern Siberia: Sex differences and skeletal maturation. Early Human Development 184, 105835.
In Mongolian-origin ethnic groups digit ratio (2D:4D; a proxy for prenatal sex-steroids) is sexually dimorphic (males < females), as reported for other ethnicities. Most studies measured 2D:4D from soft tissue (directly from the digits, or indirectly from hand scans), or from radiographs. Evidence on the correspondence of 2D:4D measurements from soft tissue with measurements from radiographic images is scarce and has not been reported for a Mongolian-origin sample. In addition, previous research has not considered relationships between 2D:4D and measures of skeletal maturity.